Journey's Blog

Monday, September 7, 2015

Is it the Journey or the Destination?

September 7, 2015

Since June we have travelled over 8,000 miles in the RV and 3,000 in the car. We have been to 25 states, over 10 National Parks, many national monuments and forests. We have spent time with family and friends and have enjoyed it all.
When we left last year on our sailboat, headed for Mexico and beyond, we didn't quite know what beyond meant. At the time, I would have said either the South Pacific or Panama Canal. Now I know it does not include those things, at least not for a while if ever. I love sailing and our boat but I am able to safely say that crossing an ocean is just not for me. I am in awe of my many friends that have adventured towards those destinations and a hint of envy creeps into my soul when reading their blogs.
For me there are just too many forces that I cannot resist that prevent me from going any further than Mexico. Here is a list and it is not in any order.
1. Fear of storms.
2. Fear of things going wrong and not being able to deal with it.
3. Family-the thought of not seeing our families for years is just not an option.
4. Having a teenager that is desperately wanting to have a steady peer group.
5. Wanting to have other travel experiences other than "the boat".

I am proud of our accomplishment of sailing the miles we have sailed from Washington to Mexico and look forward to another year of cruising. I also look forward to being open to the possibilities of traveling to more places in other capacities which remain to be unknown.
                                             Namaste at anchor in Bahia de Los Muertos, Baja
                                           Matt on the side of the road somewhere in Wyoming


No comments:

Post a Comment